Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Hello 2017!

     As of yesterday, I officially passed the 4 month mark of my exchange! It's been a whole 4 months since I've started my new life here in Italy, and I've already made some of the best memories I know I'll ever make. 
     I'd like to start off by saying Happy New Year! It is now 2017!



     That is so insane to actually write out. It feels like we should just start inventing new months to add on after December, like 2016 should just continue going on as it did.
      I think it's pretty obvious that the craziest part of my year was my big move to Europe. Nothing has ever opened my eyes to the world like living in Italy has. I see everything through the eyes of another culture, and everything in my life seems lighter in a way. Stepping back from the life I've lived for almost 17 years has made me feel different. I feel more adventurous, and more at peace about certain things that used to caused me such an immense amount of stress. And I've found that I'm even more patient than I used to be. Now I look forward to traveling the world. I want to keep trying new, exciting things and going to more amazing places. I want to get back in touch with my Mexican roots and improve my Spanish. My views on what I want to do and who I want to become have been changed by this whole experience, and I'm only 2/5 of the way done! 
     These last few months, I've started doing things that I used to do, and I've found that they still make me very happy! I write in a journal nearly every day and I started a Youtube channel! As of right now it is specifically for my exchange, but I'm thinking about maybe turning it into something more... (SUBSCRIBE to me at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh6-uaUwhf9744fRfdprNKQ )
     I think my greatest achievement in 2016 is the improvement in my confidence. I no longer feel as nervous traveling alone or going out by myself. And I even feel like a healthier person (perhaps that's to do with the absence of fast-food in my life). I even enjoy being more active: hiking, skiing, running and even walking are all things I look forward to. I just want to get out and go places! 
     My confidence in my Italian speaking skills has improved. Both because I have a better understanding and usage of the language and because I feel more comfortable speaking it than before. I don't feel embarrassed when I'm telling a story and know that I've made about nine-thousand grammatical errors in just a short paragraph. I no longer put pressure on myself to perfect a language that I've only been learning for four months- I know I'm doing great so far! What matters is that I can effectively communicate. When I talk, they understand- that's all I need... :p 
     I've got another 7 months of my amazing exchange. I hope to fill it with even more memories, laughs, and strengthen the friendships I've made. I still have a European Tour and a couple trips with my family to look forward to! 2017 will be an amazing year and it's already off to a great start! I look forward to sharing it with all of you. 

Lots of love, 
    Nicole xx

No comments:

Post a Comment