Thursday, November 17, 2016

My First Care Package!

     Ciao a tutti! Sono molto felice! 
     Yesterday my first care-package arrived! I went through a lot with the post office to get that little sucker but I got it! 

My care-package!
     About a month ago, I asked my mom to send me a box filled with American candy. Why? Well, while I do love my beautiful Italian island, it has one flaw - they only sell Haribo gummies. Unacceptable. I feel it is my civil duty as an American to introduce the food that I live on to my new friends and family. So yesterday I picked up my delivery!
     Along with a few letters from my loved ones, I received a mass load of candy, a polaroid, a beautiful drawing from my sister, and a jar of peanut butter. My friend Regina helped me open everything up. We're both so excited about the polaroid camera! She took the first picture on it - me surrounded by 15 pounds of candy. We're going on a tour of Italy in three days so the camera came just in time! 
     Today I brought one of the bags of skittles to school (Tip for future American exchange students- skittles are the key to popularity). This may sound strange, but bringing in those skittles was the answer to breaking down the remaining walls between my classmates and myself. Since I've been here, I've gotten really close with some of them, but until today when I had the chance to walk around and - for the first time - actually talk to each and every one of them, did I feel a little unsure of how to interact with them. I wanted to feel fully comfortable with them like they do with each other. I wanted to be friends with all of them and laugh and tease them. And the Skittles helped me do that! I got to tease them when they made faces after they tried one and laugh with them and even engage in a Skittles war. And they were really excited to try American candy! A few of them were familiar with Skittles from having traveled to England and trying them there. So they were thrilled to see what I brought. It was surprisingly a really amazing bonding experience. It's probably been my favorite class day since I've moved here. Maybe even my favorite day overall since I've broken down the walls between my new friends and I. 
     I can't even express to you how much I love them all, and I already never want to go home!
     Grazie e buona giornata! 

     -Nicole Solomon xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment